Saturday, March 13, 2010

2010 Bike Season Begins!

It's official: The 2010 bike season has begun! I took Ellie the Rocky Mountain Element with many many custom features from the BF out today for a ride on Rustler's Loop in Loma, CO. I like Rustler's for my first ride of the season because it's not too long or too tough. I can warm up my legs, my saddle, my bike brain...on a nice 45 minute loop with great views of the Colorado River. Today I even had a great view of a cow as i passed him on the trail...and plenty of views of cow crap! It's cool though, I like the free-range cows, so I'll deal with dodging patties on the trail.

Along with the first ride came the first bruise and it is going to be a doozy! Rustler's has 4 sets of ledges about 1/2 way around...the first ledge is literally beside the sign telling you how to ride ledges. I've made it up that ledge several times and I've biffed on it several times. Today was a biff day. My bike tire slid out from under me when i started up and I landed on my hip. Ouch. The funny thing is, I sat up, and just sat there for a minute staring at the landscape around me and wondering if I should try this ledge again or keep going. I just sat there. Finally I got up, looked at the line I should have taken, walked back down the trail and tried again. I would have made it, but I chickened out and just stopped pedaling about half way up. That's the thing about biking...there's always something to work on, something to get better at...you can't ever be perfect at it and if you are, it's because you're just riding down the frontage road.

No comments: